XBa is an exceptional dance school that offers the highest level of dance education, and is the only dance school to offer an International Certification in Dance Studies, as accredited by UNESCO's Conseil International de la Danse (International Dance Council).
Our dance school fosters a free-thinking environment and we strongly encourage creative participation by all our students. XBa's world-class faculty guarantees the best quality of dance education and a higher-learning environment.
A few XBa FACTS
* XBa was established on the South Surrey/White Rock peninsula in 1999 in our first studio on King George Hwy.
* XBa began as Canada's first dry-land training centre for competitive figure skaters stemming from founder Nela H's off-ice coaching of Olympic and World skaters. XBa also often hosted softball and volleyball teams for core, strength, and endurance training.
* XBa is a registered trademark and the "XBa Method" is a certification training currently being taught in Japan, throughout North America, and Scotland.
* XBa DANCE was started in 2001 to give former competitive athletes continued performance training and opportunities, and quickly grew into the coolest local dance school. We followed the competitive dance route for a few years and amassed a slew of awards including National Gold and Silver medals.
* Summer of 2007 marked the grand opening of our massive educational and performance space on 152nd St & 20th Ave. The 3000 square foot training and rehearsal facility allowed for large-scale performance and event preparation and soon competitive dance was phased out, with focus remaining on teaching dance as an ART, not as a sport.
* Our dance studio is the largest in the lower mainland and offers a specially built sprung dance floor designed by Jay Gower Taylor, formerly of Ballet BC. The building offers the finest dance studio, and morphs into a performance venue for live presentations, film festivals, art events, and more.
* XBa School of Dance received the official accreditation from the International Dance Council (CID) in Paris, France, in 2011, based on our reputation and achievements as a school of dance.
* Director Nela was honoured with the Community Inspiration Award from the City of White Rock in 2013.
* Our PERFORMANCE students train extensively throughout the week and make dance education their primary activity after school; these dancers have performed for the Cities of White Rock, Surrey, and Richmond, in municipal, provincial, and national events (Canada Culture Days) in addition to countless performances throughout the community.
* Along with our world-class dance training program XBa is welcoming to recreational dance students of all ages and ability levels. We also offer ongoing dance classes for students with challenges and Special Olympians.
* XBa is the only dance school in BC to offer an International Certification in Dance Studies to the serious dance student.
* XBa alumni include an Olympian (Canada's Women's 8 rowing, Rio), dance and arts professors and teachers, a Canadian film and television actor, international dance and performance artists, scholars, art therapists, cross-fit trainers, gym owners.
* XBa stands for Xtreme Ballet, our original name, and became an acronym (2001) before acronyms were a thing. We create. Others follow.
Click on Director Nela's photo below for Georgia Straight article:
Photos used on website by:
Nathalie Taylor Photography
Out of Frame Photography