BC's premier school of Dance Art education, since 1999
XBa offers the highest level of dance education, and is the only dance school in BC to offer the International Certification of Dance Studies specifically in Contemporary Dance. This is awarded by UNESCO's International Dance Council, which the school is a proud member of.
Our dance school fosters a free-thinking environment and creative participation is strongly encouraged for all our students. The styles offered are streamlined, and taught by world-class faculty, and we guarantee the best quality of dance education in a higher-learning environment.
Classes are offered Monday through Saturday, with options for all ages 3+. No auditions or previous experience required, and a strong work ethic is mandatory!
* XBa stands for Xtreme Ballet, our original name, and became an acronym (2001) before acronyms were a thing. We create. Others follow.
* XBa was established on the South Surrey/White Rock peninsula in 1999
* XBa began as Canada's first dry-land training centre for competitive figure skaters stemming from founder Nela H's off-ice coaching of Olympic, World and National skaters. XBa also often hosted softball and volleyball teams for core, strength, and endurance training.
* XBa is a registered trademark and the "XBa Method" is a certification training currently being taught throughout North America, Japan, and Scotland.
* The dance stream of XBa was started in 2001 to give former competitive athletes continued performance training and opportunities, and quickly grew into the edgiest local dance school. We followed the competitive dance route for a few years and amassed a slew of awards including National Gold and Silver medals.
* Summer of 2007 marked the grand opening of our massive educational and performance space on 152nd St & 20th Ave. The 3000 square foot open floor plan training and rehearsal facility allowed for large-scale performance and event preparation. Competitive dance was phased out, with focus remaining on teaching dance as an ART, not as a sport.
* Our dance studio is the largest in the lower mainland and offers a specially built sprung dance floor designed by Jay Gower Taylor, formerly of Ballet BC. The building offers the finest dance studio, and morphs into a performance venue for live presentations, film festivals, art events, and more. There are only 2 other dance floors in BC like ours; at the SFU School for Contemporary Arts and the Scotiabank Dance Centre.
* XBa School of Dance received the official accreditation from the International Dance Council (CID) in Paris, France, in 2011, based on our reputation and achievements as a school of dance.
* Director Nela was honoured with the Community Inspiration Award from the City of White Rock in 2013.
* Our PERFORMANCE students have performed for the Cities of White Rock, Surrey, and Richmond, in municipal, provincial, and national events (Canada Culture Days) in addition to countless performances throughout the community.
* Along with our world-class dance training program XBa is welcoming to recreational dance students of all ages and ability levels. We also offer ongoing dance classes for students with diverse abilities.
* XBa is the only dance school in BC to offer an International Certification in Dance Studies in Contemporary to the serious dance student.
* XBa alumni include an Olympian (Canada's Women's 8 rowing, Rio), dance and arts professors and teachers, a Canadian film and television actor, international dance and performance artists, scholars, art therapists, cross-fit trainers, gym owners. XBa alumna Lisa Roman and her Women's 8 Rowing team received GOLD at the Tokyo 2020 Games!
* XBa School of Dance won the Supporter of the Arts Business of the Year award presented by the South Surrey & White Rock Chamber of Commerce's Business Excellence Awards.
Click on Director Nela's photo below for Georgia Straight article:
Website Photography By: Helmut Gruntorad